Gut Healing After Gluten Contamination

GLUTEN-FREE LIFE

I’m feeling mostly better from my gluten run-in the other day, but I still feel a bit off. I’m very fatigued, tired, I’m still having tummy aches, and I just feel kind of unbalanced. Even though I haven’t tried all of these, I thought I would share a few recovery supplements and strategies that I have come across both in my work (I work at a naturopathic clinic and supplement store) and from personal research. If I try any of them and I think they work, I will let you know!

L-Glutamine Powder

This is a powder you can mix with water and drink. I’ve heard it tastes really terrible, but it can be very helpful for some people. From WebMd:
“Glutamine is the most abundant free amino acid in the body. Amino acids are the building blocks of protein. Glutamine is produced in the muscles and is distributed by the blood to the organs that need it. Glutamine might help gut function, the immune system, and other essential processes in the body, especially in times of stress. It is also important for providing “fuel” (nitrogen and carbon) to many different cells in the body. Glutamine is needed to make other chemicals in the body such as other amino acids and glucose (sugar).”
From what I’ve learned, L-Glutamine can be very helpful in gut healing. People use it for all kinds of intestinal issues, such as chemotherapy recovery and Crohn’s disease. Due to the fact that Celiac’s Disease leads the body to attack its own intestines, this is a key area to heal as soon as possible to help the body recover. I also like that this is an amino acid, meaning it is already present in the body, so it doesn’t mess too much with the body’s systems.

Omega-3 Acids

Omega-3 acids are thought to help with a large array of health problems, from arthritis to allergies to depression. They are also thought to assist in decreasing intestinal inflammation. They can be found in some foods, such as fish, walnuts, and flax seeds. You can also buy fish-oil in the form of gelcaps or liquid. Fish oil supplements are supposed to be better than plant-based omega-3 acid supplements, because they are already in the form that your body uses them in, making them easier for your body to use and absorb. Just make sure that the fish oil you buy is of high quality, and has been tested to make sure there are no heavy metals or other contaminants in them. A therapeutic dose is around one gram of omega-3s a day. To determine how many omega-3s are in your fish oil, look at the nutritional information panel. Near the bottom they will usually list, in milligrams, the amount of EPA and DHA (types of amino acids) in one “serving.” The total of these numbers is the amount of omega-3s. Aim for 1,000 milligrams, or one gram, taken with a meal.

Probiotics

I mentioned these before, but they bear mentioning again. Tom and Ali from The Whole Life Nutrition Kitchen (nourishingmeals.com) recently wrote a great post about making lacto-fermented vegetables, which are a cheap and easy way to get both probiotics and vegetables into the diet. Here is what they had to say about the benefits of probiotics for those who suffer from intestinal illnesses:
“Lacto-fermented vegetables provide a viable source of probiotics (at a cost well below most supplements) to heal and maintain a healthy gut. These beneficial microorganisms attach to receptors in our guts that send a signal to the immune system that says everything is okay, no need to overreact to foods and other things entering the gut, let’s keep everything calm. If you are dealing with multiple allergies, chances are your gut is out of balance and is in need of a daily dose of beneficial microorganisms.”
Not to mention they are tasty!

Gelatin

Hear (read) me out! I’m not talking about the gross processed stuff we try not to think about when we eat Jello, I’m talking about the nutrient found in chicken bones and marrow that are great for the joints and the gut. This is fairly simple to get into your diet, just make chicken stock with chicken bones (if you are feeling really adventurous and have access to them, you can use chicken heads and feet, too). Chicken stock already feels like such a healing food, and gelatin is just one more reason to drink it when I’m feeling unwell!

Nothing too fancy here. Just a few natural ways to aid the body in returning to normal.

gluten cross contamination sources

Source: http://sfbeachstreetgrill.com/gluten-free/gluten-cross-contamination/

Note: I am not a health professional! This information is not intended to treat or diagnose any illness, and is merely information I have gleaned and hope can be of assistance to you!

The post Gut Healing After Gluten Contamination appeared first on Mamma Health.



source https://mammahealth.com/healing-gluten-contamination/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Airbnb Experiences [Free promotional coupon inside]

Goiters and Thyroid Nodules

Teething And Your Baby: Symptoms And Remedies